Standing athwart history yelling, "Slow down, you'll hit a young mother crossing the street on her way to the organic co-op with her dual-child stroller!"

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Finally

My wish has been granted

Favre saga over as QB gets fresh start with Jets via Yahoo!

Now that this'll hopefully be out of the news a little, I feel okay about commenting. I think the way this ended, although not ideal for anyone involved, is probably the best outcome, given the circumstances. I think it would have been best for Brett to stay retired, to go out on top after a great season last year, and start relaxing and enjoying his life and waiting for the Hall of Fame to come calling.

However, he felt he wasn't done, which is certainly his prerogative, and I can understand that as well. If I was a professional football player, or pretty much any sort of athlete, be it college level, pros, amateur, I would have a very hard time walking away, even if my body was telling me it was time. It's a shame he couldn't finish out his career with Green Bay, but having him in New York (or just across the river, anyway) should be interesting as well. If nothing else, he'll provide a great distraction for Eli and the G-Men as they prepare to defend their crown, hopefully drawing a lot of the pre-season attention away from them, allowing the Giants to ease into their season.

And seeing Brett Favre in Minnesota purple would have just been weird. At least he'll look similar in Jet's green.

Best of luck to Brett, he's always been a class act. He's one of those guys, that when I have sons I'll tell them about when describing the type of athlete, and the type of men that they should strive to be.

No comments: